About the Ferndale Girls Basketball Association
To provide an opportunity for Ferndale girls to develop their overall basketball game, develop self discipline and increase self confidence to achieve personal success in athletics and life.
Ferndale Girls Basketball Association (FGBA) was started by Dr. Ron Dahl and Jim Turner in 1996. Both of Ron’s daughters, Erica and Megan, played in the program and are still involved with the program today! Ron ran the program long after his daughters graduated and handed the reigns over to John Cruikshank in 2007.
FGBA runs girls competitive basketball teams for grades 4th-8th. Tryouts are held every September to form teams of about 10 girls. Some years a grade will have more than one team.
FGBA began hosting their own tournament, the Ferndale Jam, in 2003. This tournament has grown from about 20 teams to over 95 in 2015. This is FGBA’s main fundraiser. Profits are used for special training opportunities for all FGBA players. The tournament was renamed to the Chelsey Ebert Ferndale Jam in 2007 to honor a past player who died at 16 from cancer.
What you should know before your daughter tries out:
- Tryouts are in September
- About 10 girls make each team
- Fees are payable at registration, usually beginning of October, will include warm-ups and uniform for new players
- Optional fundraiser (poinsettia sales) in October for families to earn back fees paid
- Typically teams play 2 games each Saturday, can be in Skagit, Snohomish or King county
- All FGBA teams travel to several tournaments together. Blocks of rooms are obtained so all families can stay at the same hotel.
- Some teams elect to travel to additional away tournaments.
- Families will need to volunteer at the Chelsey Ebert Ferndale Jam, always the weekend of Martin Luther King holiday in January
- Families will be encouraged to volunteer for Makayla’s Street Jam, first weekend in August.
- Playing time is not guaranteed, this is a competitive level program
- Other expenses would be a pair of good basketball shoes, a few pairs of practice shorts, socks and travel expenses to away tournaments.
2018-19 Board members