PSCTL Covid19 League Status – Ferndale Girl's Basketball Association

PSCTL Covid19 League Status

Update: Thursday, October 1, 2020
We received the following communication in regards to the PSCTL league...


Covid19 And league status;

Good morning PSCTL members:
I hope this finds all healthy and staying safe from what has turned out to be a very frustrating and dangerous time since we called our 2919 season this past March. Who would have thought we’d be in the same situation 7 months later, with so much uncertainty. I will try and let you all know what, where we go from this point in time.

League status: We are in a holding pattern but I can say we will have no league games in 2020. If things suddenly opened up which is highly unlikely our first games would be scheduled after the new year. To be honest and up front with you, I don’t foresee any chance of a winter Basketball season at all.

Why?: Our feeder league Is basically in the hands of the schools districts, schools and their respective facilities. No gyms....no play. At this point they are not even considering or taking requests for outside use and even if they were to schedule games the steps and protocol that would need to be in place to keep everyone safe is going to take a great deal of planning, resources and cooperation from all involved and at every facility! I for one do not want to risk the possibility of even ONE person becoming infected because of a youth basketball game. There are far to many things more important In life than playing basketball ....with the safety of the players, coaches, officials and fans being my number one concern!

So what’s next: As a league as of this point the 2020-21 winter season is on hold with high probability of being canceled. Tryouts have not been held-gyms have not been secured- safety measures are not in place and there is currently no vaccine to take in case of infection.

If things were to drastically change and everything fell into place we might entertain the possibility of a shortened season starting in mid-Jan, with playoffs first weekend in March. Highly unlikely...but open to the idea if we could get it up and running safely.

Options: I talked for sometime with the head of insurance at AAU and she said there are some tournaments that are moving forward with the opportunity to play. This is largely dependent on the individual states and Governor's. I don’t think Washington is one of those but will leave that to each individual event. There are A few leagues out there that have access to their own facilities and don’t need clearance to use other than following rules outlined by the state. So if you have teams formed and parents/players are on board to play under conditions we are in, I’d advise you to check out IEAAU.org and our PNWAAU.org to check out your options. I don’t believe the ETL is planning to play or are under same status as our league.

AAU Insurance: As mentioned, I talked with headquarters at AAU and we can sign up and insure players even if league does not take place. We also retain all our information on file so we don’t have to start from ground zero once play resumes , which is important as has taken years to Input and would hate to have to start over. I will not be doing third party certificates for facilities, unless schools become available. All programs can retain individual AAU insurance but highly recommend you check out website and Pandemic protocol for Details. Www.asusports.org

So in closing....things look bleak and as with everything else “up in the air”. The most important thing is we don’t resume to early or with any risk of someone getting infected. Please be safe and hope this helps clear some questions/concerns that you as a program may have and help assist in choosing the path your program take. 

About the Author FGBA Webmaster